Remember when I got all excited about L-systems and algorithmically generated plants?
That lame tree you saw in that post was definitely not the last you’ll hear of that. I’ve been making a lot of progress with my implementations since then, and got some nice results. However, it was still not something really breathtaking, so nothing was worth mentioning.
A few days ago I decided I reached the top of what 2D can get me (well, not exactly. More on that later). The really good stuff can only come when I port the code into Python, make it a blender script and start making 3D renders with it. Today I made the first step, and here’s my first L-system render:
The basic shape is one of many fractals based on the Koch snowflake. You might notice that the basic shape is actually 2D – I only ported the simplest possible part yet. Hopefully I’ll port the whole thing sometime in the next few days, and we’ll start seeing some really beautiful stuff.
By the way, I’m not exactly throwing 2D away. I’ve reached the end of what 2D can provide me through the book – but I think L-systems have a lot of potential outside the scope of producing good looking trees, and I hope to explore that in the future. But that will take much creativity, which is more difficult than just following a book’s instructions. For me, at least :-)